Saturday, June 7, 2014

Human decency


YEP. I EXPECT HUMAN DECENCY AND RESPECT!!!!!



When did it become okay as a society to treat everyone as if you are better than they?  As if you were worth more, demand more time and attention, or simply are more than your neighbor? 

I struggle to understand why we, as Americans, find it so hard to help others in need.  Why we lie, cheat, scheme, and destroy to get what we think we deserve.  You see stories about guys pretending to be homeless, panhandling on the side of the road, earning close to $100,000 a year (without taxes), while a mother with four children, working two jobs, struggles to keep the lights on.  People are getting stabbed, shot, injured, all because of the negligence and hatred of others.  Countries are falling apart, and the Kardashians just made another million because of the Kim/Kanye wedding.

This week alone, I have seen this to be true on several occasions.  While out with friends, I watched a girl throw her drink on a guy just because he said she was emotional.  She then ran to her fiancé (seriously) and told him.  That dude came outside, and started a fight with the first guy.  I applaud the first guy for being calm, and standing his ground, and not engaging in a fight.  It was incredible to see someone who knew that they were right just blow the other person off, just to avoid issues.  Last night, my friend E posted on Facebook that some girl was trying to start stuff with her at the bar.  That post had so many comments on it.... it was ridiculous how much people fed into the drama.

Maybe I'm getting too old for the bullshit, maybe I have this Utopian hippie dream that peace will come, and that humans will learn to be decent and respect one another, maybe I'm naïve and idealist.  Whatever the case may be, I still believe in the goodness of people.  I still believe that we are all connected, and that we need to work together to save our Mother Earth.  I still believe in the Disney fairy tale ending.

I just find it ridiculous how decency can be such a foreign language now.  A few months back, I was at Subway, getting lunch, and the guy in front of me was having trouble with his card.  I told the cashier to put it on mine, and the dude was in complete shock.  He kept saying he would pay me back, and asking if I was sure about it.  Like it was some big deal.  Listen, we've all been there before.  Card's not working, line's growing longer... it's quite embarrassing.  So what is an extra $7 from my bank account?  No big deal.

Even when I am decent to people, striking up conversations, giving up my seat to someone else, people always assume there's a hidden motive.  Especially when out with friends, I am constantly questioned.... "Do you like that guy?" Why does being decent have to have an attachment to it?  Just because I am nice to you, doesn't mean that I want to sleep with you. 

When will decency make a comeback?  I think it's about time.

"I'm under the impression that this notion of decency is disappearing from our society where conflicts are made worse on cinema and on television, where people are nasty and cruel on the Internet and where, in general, everybody seems to be very angry." -- Helen Mirren

No comments:

Post a Comment