Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Addiction



Ok Blogger. Since you deleted my first draft.... Let's try this again....


My Internet has been down since before I got home for work.  I was pretty mad too, because I had this plan to come home and veg out, watching tv until I went to bed, while playing on my phone and the computer.

That's my nightly routine. Technology until bedtime,  and then more technology. Come home, turn on tv, check phone, computer, back to phone, bed, tablet, phone.

When did my life start to revolve around technology?  I spend most of my day, doing nothing online. Seriously.  I check Facebook on my phone,  then get on my computer, just to check Facebook. 

 I meditated for the first time in months today.  I probably wouldn't have if my phone had held more of a charge.  But I meditated. And then decided to write this post.  But not before checking Facebook.  When did I become obsessed with social media?

I've been planning a Skype coffee date with my friend D for months. Still hasn't happened. But I can tell you what she did over the weekend, because of Facebook. I talk to more people on Facebook than I do in real life. And let's be honest, it's not official until it's Facebook official.

 So here's my challenge to myself, and to you.  For one day, don't check Facebook.  Not even if you get a notification.  Better yet, deactivate your account for a day. Is it someone's birthday? Pick up the phone and call them. Reconnect with those you don't talk to outside of the internet. Change the way we interact.


"The difference between technology and slavery is that slaves are fully aware that they are not free." -- Nassim Nicholas Taleb


No comments:

Post a Comment