Tuesday, May 27, 2014

We're all just walking each other home.....

It's super late, I can't sleep.  I've been watching lame indie movies on Netflix for at least five hours, and perusing the internets like it's going out of style.....

I came across something that really spoke to me tonight.  I had no intention of writing today, because I spent the majority of the day packing my things for the move, but when I came across this, I decided that I needed to share this.


I think this fits in well with yesterday's post, about wanting a community and more connectedness, to feel like I belong to something bigger.  This spoke to me... we are all just walking each other home....

We spend a finite time on this planet, and no one really knows what happens after we move on to the next life (I'm sure we all have different theories).  While we're here, we are meant to connect, gain knowledge, and then "go home" (whether that means a heaven, decomposing in the ground, whatever).  It's a sad and lonely road, if you're walking that road alone. 

It's like when I was a child.  I once lived about two miles out of town, and we didn't have a car, but I would hang out in town until it started to get dark, then start the two mile trek back home.  The times where I have friends were less scary and more enjoyable.  We would tell each other ghost stories while walking by the railroad tracks in the moonlight, and just connect with each other.  We would share secrets and life stories, talk about our hopes for the future, and really get to know each other. 

The nights where I was alone, I was definitely alone.  I was more cautious, I walked faster, and any noise, automatically a serial killer or monster coming to get me.  I was alone, letting my mind go crazy with ideas and scenarios (and this was before I had a cell phone) about how if I were to die, it would be a while before someone found me. 

As adults, it's easy for us to get wrapped up in our daily lives -- schooling, careers, kids, families, bills, company trips, deadlines, you name it.  Just going to get coffee on the weekends at the coffee shop, barely anyone is talking.  Everyone is on their phones and laptops, trying to meet the constraints of life.  People look at you weird if you try to strike up a conversation, and even if you get one to talk, the conversation never really lasts.  I think some of the best times I have had in public is sitting next to a random person, striking up a conversation, and continuing until we both decide it's time to go home (or we're being kicked out because the place is closing).  Regardless of sexual attraction (because let's face it.... it's a common misconception that if a woman strikes up a conversation with a man at the bar, she's just looking to get some), great conversation is my favorite thing in the world.  The way people connect through said conversations.... it's so amazing and inspirational.

I wish people could see the world through my eyes -- how beautiful the woman reading a book at the bus stop is, or the electricity that comes from a couple who have been together for ages, or the beauty in a man showing gratitude for his son.  Simplicity at its best -- the world is beautiful, if only you know where to look.

My challenge for you is to put down your phone, and just look around.  Notice the warmth of the sun on your face, the smell of flowers in the air, the laughter of people --- notice life.  And once in a while, just look up at the sky, smile, and be glad to be alive.


"We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm, and adventure.  There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open." -- Jawaharial Nehru
We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/j/jawaharlal121014.html#BF8yilfctRm8d4qW.99

No comments:

Post a Comment